Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Merry Christmas to all!

Merry Christmas to everyone who is reading my blogs. There's a couple of you who've showen true interest in the things I post, and I am humbled for that.

Well Christmas is here, and well almost gone! Isn't it funny? We spend all month picking out the perfect tree, buying the perfect gift, and it all seems to go away so quick. We buy those gift bags, the boxs, and the tissue papper to wrap that present up, just so we can delay that person's smile for another 5 seconds. Then, those $3 boxs and that tissue paper will be thrown away.

Last year I was sick of Christmas, but in the end I was depressed it went away. In reality it goes away too quick! What do I like most about Christmas? Gifts? No....it's the Spirit of the Christmas. It's the spirit that is unlike no other, when the stores are decorated in Christmas decoration. I love the Christmas Songs. I don't listen to nothing but them from a couple days after Thanksgiving til after New Years. My all time favorite song is Carol Of the Bells or Mr Grinch, although past couple years TSO's Christmas Songs are rocking my radio!

I love seeing a Santa Clause in the mall, little kids getting their picture of Santa. Boy, I remember those days, especially the Blue Hen Mall before it turned into a business complex, there use to be a big Christmas bear that spoke in front of Sears. I use to think that it was the coolest thing. Standing in line, and waiting to get on Santa's lap, trying to remember everything I wanted.

The lights are another thing, boy I love to ride by a house and see Christmas lights, one thing we use to do on Christmas was to go around looking at Christmas lights, boy was it cool to see house after house light up. This year, it was like every 5th house, compared to every other house just 5 years ago. Seeing dad put up the lights on the house, and then anxiously waiting for night to fall, and seeing our house light up, our house was one of the best or second best for years, but the last 5 years we haven't done as much, it has gone from spot lights, and Christmas lights outlining the roof with Rudolph in the yard, and Santa and Frosty on the mound. Now it's just 2 Reindeer with a sleigh, with spotlights to the house, and wreathes in the window. Which is fine, I understand how electric are high now.

Christmas is also about family, forget the gifts, and the hustle and bustle of buying $50 gifts that are made over in China for $10. It's about getting the family together, one thing I love about my family, is we got to have Christmas three times. Christmas Eve we go to my mother's side and have dinner and all, and Christmas day we open gifts in the morning hours (seems later and later every year now lol) at the house, and then go off to dad's side (we rotate houses, so this year it was at our house) and have Christmas. You got to see everyone, both sides, on 2 different days, kinda special.

Some kids and families don't get to celebrate Christmas like some of us do, they'll be lucky to get new shoes, and be glad they got new clothes and gloves and scarfs. I did my part this year, helping out a Adopt a Family for my girlfriend's work, I bought for the little 5 yr old boy, it touches my heart, and fills me with joy of picking out gifts that would put a smile on that little kid's face. It made me feel like a kid again, buying him some Hot Wheels cars, couple action figures, and a Nerf Gun. I also gave to the Toys For Tots, buying like 3 toys. I wanted to help out a family and give them a Christmas dinner, but my free turkey expired and did not find a needing family. Next year, I want to do that, Adopt a Family and adopt a senior citizen, who ask for new books, or hats and gloves, simple stuff in life that they can't afford. But most importantly, give the gift of love.

Sometimes we all forget about what Christmas truly means, I mean it's the birth of Jesus Christ, but it's also a time to spend with family, and to me, enjoy the spirit of Christmas. So when you are caught up in enjoying those presents, or bitching about that one gift you did not get, and that senseless gift you got, that you know you won't use...take a step back, and remember that be thankful you got family who can give you gifts, and more importantly be around you on this holiday. We all take too much for granted these days, sometimes we need to lend a helping hand, or just taking a step back and remembering what's truly important this Christmas. Being alive, well, and being with the people who love you.

One of my best friend's is currently over in Iraq, and he has put it best, when it comes to appreciating being with family, and having the things we have right now.

Well it is Christmas Eve day, doesn’t really feel like it but it is. I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas this year. In today’s high-speed society a lot of small things are taken for granted, this I realized while being over here. Back home I surf the internet, text and call people freely; here I do when I can find time to and only for 30 minutes at a time. Back home I may share my room with my nephew, but here I share a squad bay with around 40 Marines and my space is only as big as two racks side by side, which when you put a wall locker in it is very small. Back home I take nice hot showers and think nothing of it, a few times out here I have gone to take a shower and there was no water. I guess the point I am trying to make is we should all be thankful for what we have because there could always be a worse case, though my living space is small, it is better than a two man tent, though I am restricted on the phone calls and internet at least I can use them and though at times the shower is cold, at least there is water. So remember that no matter how bad things may seem they could always be worse and try to find whatever good you can in things. I may be far from home, my family and my friends, but I am at a fairly safe base, I have warm water most nights, 3 squares a day, and I have made more friends. I also have time to think about things and get a better appreciation for things. So for Christmas one thing I would like is that you take some time out of your day to relax and appreciate what you have and maybe even get in touch with someone that you care about. Well Merry Christmas to everyone hope all goes well.

-Corporeal AP


Makes you appreciate the simple things in life don't it?

Merry Christmas folks!

1 comment:

Walking with Wood said...

Keep on writing, man! Sure don't want the puck to stop here.

Hockey Bob